Search This Blog

Sunday, June 27, 2010


DAY SIX
It’s kind of incredible that the first week of this detox is almost over. Before I’d begun, I looked toward it with merely a sense of curiosity about this small adventure. As I started in earnest I immediately wondered if I could really manage to go through three whole weeks. A few days in and I realized I wasn’t about the starve, which was my main concern, so this beast was surely one I could slay.
Temptation to eat the wrong foods is strong, though. That will be the tricky thing to mind for the remainder of the diet. It’s tough when people close to you are noshing goodies you wish you could also be enjoying *coughOfficeChocolatecough*. Especially difficult to handle is getting accosted by the heavenly aromas emanating from the grocery bakery while you slip leafy greens into your buggy. I’ve found that the best thing to do in either situation is to simply walk away, thinking of each step as bringing you that much closer to the new, healthful you. If you can’t seem to see through those particular rose-colored glasses, try seeing yourself as literally having that black forest cake clinging to your outer thigh. That ought to snap you out of it.
In addition to avoiding temptation, it’s important to try putting a positive face on any aspect of the program you dislike. For example, someone recently asked me how large my breakfast drinks are and found the response to be less than desirable. I had reckoned eight ounces, as an average, and the argument came back that that amount was hardly sufficient to get the day going. I found myself defending the paltry serving, saying the amount was equivalent to your average cup of tea or coffee before it got jacked up on steroids. (I felt like my rebuttal was fairly strong considering the absurdly high number of people who consider a cup of a joe a proper breakfast.) Not only was my statement true, but it further proved to me that I am not being gipped by this process.
Here are some things I like about the liquid meals. For starters, anything you can put in a cup or bottle becomes instantly portable, which is damned convenient. If you always seem to be crunched for time in the AM, like me, you will be delighted that you don’t have to skip breakfast because you don’t have time to cook it up (or because it won’t fit in your car’s cup holder). Another great aspect of the drinks is their refreshing quality. With the stifling heat we’ve been experiencing lately, it’s wonderful to begin and end the day with something cold from the fridge. Most importantly, I have not tried one recipe yet that I didn’t enjoy. Friends have accused me of food snobbery in the past, so I don’t dole out that compliment lightly.
I truly look forward to tomorrow’s breakfast Energy Smoothie with Almond Butter and Cardamom. Can you say the same for your breakfast? Do you even eat breakfast? Leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question or suggestion for me, leave it as a comment below.